Friday, September 23, 2011

(day sixty-seven) spending time in the river of life


Yesterday was quite an eventful day (hence, why this blog is just now getting out :). I woke up at about 5:45 in the AM with messy hair, squinty eyes, and balance problems. Although I don't too much care for early mornings THIS one was special. I was going fishin' at the river with my pops! One of my favorite things in the world. Now, my decision making skills aren't the sharpest that early nor is my attitude the brightest. Along with that... and my senses being heightened to the nth degree, made for a dangerous medly of toxic emotional ingredients.

As soon as my dad started up the car the loudest, highest pitched, most annoying beep i ever heard began. I quickly reverted back to a little 6 year old girl holding my ears, putting my head between my knees and screaming..."daddy! can you please stop that?!" (as if it were his fault). My poor dad has the amazing ability (not disability in this case) to not hear high pitched sounds. What a gift i tell ya! So, while I was crippled with pain praying the glass wouldn't shatter and rabid dogs wouldn't attack our vehicle... my dad was aggravated with me being so troubled by a noise he could not hear. Our anticipated trip almost ended 5 minutes in, but thank the Lord the beeping stopped and we were well on our way!

Then about 5 minutes later I decided it was time for breakfast. So here I go shaking away my protein and almond milk mixture when little miss irritated forgot to close the lid! Before I knew it, my protein shake was all over the inside of the car including myself. Perfect. I just sat there frozen with gook all over fighting back the tears of frustration. Although I knew this trip had got off to a rocky start I was ecstatic about the destination and still hopeful for the rest of the journey. Dad immediately pulled over for napkins, a towel...and some coffee of course. I started apologizing for getting a late start because I knew my dad was so eager to get to the river.

My sweet dad just looked at me and said something like, "Lindsey... I don't care when we left and I don't care when we get there, I just wanna be with you." Then He told me he was gonna pull over there anyway. It didn't take long for God to say, "listen to your dad lins, that's exactly how I feel about you." Wow. So much of the time we do "godly" things and sadly leave God behind. Isn't that strange? Or somewhere along the way we are doing these great things, but forget about who we are really doing them for. In that teachable moment I learned that my father in heaven is excited about being with me in the destination... but just as eager to for me to participate with Him in the journey. He's not concerned about getting a late start or catching a certain amount of fish, He just wants me to be WITH HIM. He delights in our company. Can you believe that? That the king of the universe and beyond enjoys every second with you!!! Except maybe those freaky meltdown moments. Even then, He wants to be present to bring peace into the situation and teach us something very valuable and eternal about His love.


Dad and I both ended up catching a crazy amount of fish.... and throwing them back of course. I still can't hardly bare seeing that hook in their cute little fishy mouth. Again, it paints a beautiful picture of our journey with God. The more we desire HIM and not the actual things we do... the greater our pleasure becomes in those things and the more He will accomplish through us. It IS about Him and enjoying His presence. As I was standing there visiting with my dad on the river we hardly noticed all the fish that we were reeling in because of the beautiful conversation that was happening simultaneously. Our love exchange with Christ will make spreading the gospel almost effortless. I know there are times when planning may be good, but if we are in constant communication with our Father and diggin' in the word... living it out will be so much more natural. People will begin to actually see the product of walking and talking with HIM. They will start to see the fruit in your life of the one you interact with moment by moment.

I was super encouraged by a fellow ywamer and bro in Christ today as I began to catch up on his blog and hear about what God is doing in and through him. He is a great example of what I've just been talking about. He is so hungry for more and more of God's presence in His life which in turn gives Him more and more passion for the world in which we live. When He talks with people He's not arrogant about the gospel or intimidated by their journey, instead He humbly testifies to what God has done in his own heart over the years and how unfathomable a true love exchange with Christ is. In fact, I'm so honored to know many more like this. You may be one of them.

If you don't think it's in you to be this passionate about the Lord and His heart for us... then you're wrong. And since this is my blog, I'll tell you all day long... YOU ARE WRONG. If you think that way it's because of a lie you are believing from the enemy. No matter where you are in your walk, He always wants to take you deeper with Him... and deeper in Him is possible. I dare you to challenge me in that :) Ha. I'll always want more of God till the day I die. It's not that I'm not satisfied with what He's given me... it's just that I NEVER want to stop seeking His face, EVER. The more I know about who God really is the MORE I fall in love with Him. The more I fall in love the more I'm passionate about what is in His heart... and the more i HATE sin and how it toxifies our soul and planet.

Last night I got to hang out with some good old buddies in a christian band that was playing locally. At one point I started visiting with some of the backstage managers about their work and family. One woman started sharing her whole life story with me while the band was rockin' out on stage only a few feet away. Haha. It was pretty funny. But as I stepped deeper into her story I began to see a dilemma she was sorting through. First she told me how she was only 39 and had raised 5 strapping young men alone. Her husband died 12 years ago and she's made it her goal to raise the best kids she possibly can. She continued to tell me that they are all smart, have good jobs, and didn't get anybody pregnant. So... she said, "I think I did a pretty darn good job." Recently a friend challenged her to quit smoking and her reply was, "I think I've accomplished God's plan for my life so when the good Lord takes me home I'll be done." Now... there is a can of worms in this statement I've been wanting to open for awhile, but am going to wait a little bit longer for God's wisdom in the situation. But what I do want to say is... first of all... Yes, God IS Lord and He IS good. (I'm also wondering how exhausted God gets with us not taking responsibility for our destructive decisions and taking advantage of His grace... more worms later :) But what REALLY got me was the fact that she didn't see or desire for God to use her anymore. This makes me SO SAD... and i hear it all the freaking time.

We tend to decide what God wants for us because of what gifts we have (or don't think we have) or what path we've chosen in life. Then when we "feel" like we're done... we quit. I really believe that it doesn't matter if you are a little kid, a parent with a lot going on, a businessman, a missionary, an ill person, or very old... God still wants you to desperately seek Him and He still wants to use you to reveal His glory to the world. Whoever you are reading this I just feel an overwhelming sense of love that our God the Father has for you. This blog is not just for the general public tonight, it's for you. You are special, unique, and irreplaceable to God. There is something about His character that He wants to reveal through you. If we really are made in His image and we are all different, then the very core of who has created us to be is crucial for the world to know. This is something that can be represented poorly or properly when we either desire pride or seek humility. We attain that humble attitude, juicy fruits, and Christ like character when we simply spend time with Him... like my daddy in the river.

I wanted to share this video with you because it's from the friend of mine I mentioned earlier and some of the ministry they've been doing in the U.S. The kids in this video are so passionate about the God they spend time with and know... they can't help to share His awesome love and truth with everyone they meet. I love their rawness, courage, and humble attitude as they talk about the one who has changed their lives and what He's doing in the world. It's super encouraging and I believe spirit- lifting!



B90: (Micah 6- Haggai 2:23) What does the Lord require of us?... "but to do justice, to love kindness (or steadfast love), and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8

Just like we were saying... when we walk humbly with our God His character is revealed to us and His love is known. There is a consistent steadfast love that we are exchanging in that beautiful relationship and we begin to truly connect with His heart. Doing justice comes natural and we quickly become intolerant of the injustice of the enemy and his lies.

"Behold, is it not from the Lord of hosts that peoples labor merely for fire, and nations weary themselves for nothing? For the earth WILL be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea." Habakkuk 2:13 &14

The earth will be filled... meaning it's present, but not complete yet. We have a little taste of His glory on this earth and also have the availability of tapping into more when we enter into His throne room with thanksgiving and praise. His glory is so vast and knowledge so deep... never stop pursuing, you won't regret it!

And lastly.... "Seek the Lord, all you humble of the land, who do his just commands; seek righteousness; seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the Lord." Zephaniah 2: 3


Workout and daniel fast: I know I haven't talked about these 2 elements in awhile now, so I thought I'd share just a little bit about what is going on in these areas. I'm still doing P90x. Trying to do it at least 6 times a week. If I don't do that I try and do some other type of exercise that day. As far as eating well... I decided to start the Daniel fast on monday (which I wrote about a few blogs ago). Right now I'm doing fruits, veggies, water, grains, and nuts. So basically no dairy, meat, caffeine, sugar or processed foods. I'm on my 5th day and so far I feel great. I recommend it to anyone who wants a good healthy way to detox, needs a spiritual breakthrough, or just wants a good challenge :) Love you all....

No comments:

Post a Comment